Next to be reviewed:

Review: Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce!

Hello lovely people, it's HOT where I live. This means all I'd like to do is sit in front of a very large fan in hopes that I don't melt. Ya see how blogging doesn't fit into that schedule? This leaves me to do all of my blog posts in the middle of the night when it's a tad bit cooler. Why am I passing on this dull, dull information, you ask? Because I hope to somewhat excuse any rambling &/or random tangents you may encounter. That is all. (:


Overall Rating: 4
Characters: 4.6
Plot: 3.8
Cover Art: 4.9
Originality: 3
Concept: 4.5
Favorite Line(s):
"They haven't seen the sunlight." - Scarlett March. This plays such an important role in the story, and the message that comes with it is fantastic.


Synopsis:
Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris-- the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts fiercely alongside her. Now Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves and finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax-- but loving him means betraying her sister and has the potential to destroy all they've worked for.

Twenty-five-year-old Jackson Pearce delivers a dark, taut fairy tale with heart-pounding action, fierce sisterly love, and a romance that will leave readers breathless.



Sisters Red and I have a love/dislike relationship...

Love:
-I absolutely adored Scarlett. Like, if she were real, I would be hiding in her bushes with a little autograph notebook and camera. She's a modern day superhero. Haunted, deadly, one BAMF, and I found her the more interesting of the sisters, by far. They're day and night, with Scarlett being the latter.


-The differences between the sisters is another thing I love about this novel. They are SO different that they complete each other. This is a big part of the story and their very different relationships with 'the boy next door' is what really showcases the evolution of their relationship throughout the story and even their lives before the book's events.


-Sisters Red is a tale that leaves your heart racing for many different reasons and will keep you flipping pages like your life depends on it. As a reader you almost have to find out what happens next.


Dislike:
-Hi, I'm Cara, and I hate book endings.


I might as well come out with it. I have this thing with endings. For me, the end of a novel is the most important part of an entire book. Everything is wrapped up or left unwrapped, the reader is shipped out to sea--possibly waiting for a sequel--and the main message is realized and thought upon. 80% of the story happens in the last 50 pages.


Endings are excited, sad, hopeful, and sometimes wistful. The ending stays in the reader's head and is the first thing they remember when they tell a friend whether they should read that particular book or back away slowly.


I'm not trying to scare the living daylights out of any wannabe writers who may be reading this, just stating why it is very hard for me to like the end of a book. Because they are in fact hard to write. Very hard.


{SEMI-SPOILER}
I didn't like the ending of Sisters Red, for only reasons my mind thinks are sensical. Things like 'But the characters are happy. What the hell?'. I'm sure all of you sane people out there will love it.
{END SEMI-SPOILER}


Sisters Red is a great debut. The writing is clear and comfortable, the characters are distinct and relatable*, the romance(s) believable**. That's all I can think up right now, but I'll be sure to look up more adjectives when I finish writing this.


*Yes, they may be more dangerous than the average bear, but they still have feelings. Something that is sometimes missing in paranormal teens.
**{SPOILER} I am such a Scarlett/Silas shipper. Words cannot adequately express how much I wish that scene went down differently.



"Whoever She Is"-The Maine,

Photobucket