Next to be reviewed:

Review: Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann

Summary: The community of Cryer’s Cross, Montana (population 212) is distraught when high school freshman Tiffany disappears without a trace. Already off-balance due to her OCD, 16-year-old Kendall is freaked out seeing Tiffany’s empty desk in the one-room school house, but somehow life goes on... until Kendall's boyfriend Nico also disappears, and also without a trace. Now the town is in a panic. Alone in her depression and with her OCD at an all-time high, Kendall notices something that connects Nico and Tiffany: they both sat at the same desk. She knows it's crazy, but Kendall finds herself drawn to the desk, dreaming of Nico and wondering if maybe she, too, will disappear...and whether that would be so bad. Then she begins receiving graffiti messages on the desk from someone who can only be Nico. Can he possibly be alive somewhere? Where is he? And how can Kendall help him? The only person who believes her is Jacian, the new guy she finds irritating...and attractive. As Kendall and Jacian grow closer, Kendall digs deeper into Nico's mysterious disappearance only to stumble upon some ugly—and deadly—local history. Kendall is about to find out just how far the townspeople will go to keep their secrets buried.
♥ Favorite Line(s):
Everything Kendall and Jacian say to each other. Seriously, everything. One example:
"So, ah, I'm not sure if you know this, but you're not wearing a shirt."
"Distracting, isn't it?"

I wish I could include one of my absolute favorite Jacian/Kendall lines, but it's all spoilery and such. Another favorite is the very last page, but it's also spoilery.

My thoughts:
I've been having some trouble writing this review. Mainly because I don't know how to express how much I loved this story but only liked this book. I absolutely loved the world and characters Lisa McMann created, yet it wasn't a book that made me go, "Holy bananas, this is totes an amazing novel." But I don't know why. The writing style flows well, the plot was paced incredibly. I really adored all of the characters. But alas, I still only liked Cryer's Cross.

The story itself is imaginative and had me completely on the edge of my seat. I finished it in one sitting, barely stopping to shove some food down and continue. Kendall is a relatable, honest protagonist and she's my homegirl. Love her so much. There aren't too many minor characters, but in Cryer's Cross it works. Instead of trying to juggle 12,000 personalities and subplots, the few minor characters are each special and pretty well-developed. Plus, Jacian? Added to my mental list of "Fictional People I Would Stalk {in a totes non-creepy way}." He's all sorts of awesome.

I'd also like to point out the fact that I read this in the middle of the day and was still freaking the hell out. It is creepy to the max and definitely not a great choice for before bedtime reading. Unless you're into that whole being scared silly thing. I'm cool with a good ghost story-love them actually-because usually the ending has some kind of closure for all the spooky stuff. And then I read Cryer's Cross. And for about a week I was worried I was going to start hearing furniture talk to me. I realize that sounds really crazy if you haven't read the book, but bear with me.

I really did enjoy Cryer's Cross and its pacing was so refreshing for me at this point. I've recently read a lot of Nana Driving books, aka the pacing is gas/brake, gas/brake, gas/brake. Sporadic. Not fun to read in. Headache inducing. Cryer's Cross was easy to read and follow and gave my brain a break. Between the beautiful pacing, realistic characters, and super awesome ghostliness, Cryer's Cross was a much needed reading vacation.
    Summing it up:
    I really loved the story, but like I said, liked the book. Am still confused by how that is possible.


    Link up: Goodreads//Shelfari//Amazon//Barnes and Noble//Lisa's website

    P.S. Have you noticed my newest link in the sidebar? Click on "To Swap" to see the books I'm trying to swap for new ones. Also, don't forget to vote in the poll in the sidebar!
    Happy Wednesday!


    "Indigo Girl"-This Century,