Next to be reviewed:

Review: The Demon's Lexicon Series (Books 1 & 2) by Sarah Rees Brennan!

So I finally 'gave in' and picked up The Demon's Lexicon and The Demon's Covenant by Sarah Rees Brennan. I can't even begin to count how many great reviews I've read, but I never was compelled to get the dang books! Anyways, onward to thine review!


Overall Rating: 4.7
Characters: 5
Plot: 4.1
Cover Art: 1.5
Originality: 3.6
Concept: 4.5

Favorite Line(s):
Lexicon:
"I feel I should warn you,' he said after a moment. 'I may be about to get sick or pass out.'
'Uh,' said Mae. 'Sexy.'"-Nick to Mae. (BTW, Team Nick!)
Covenant:
"'Hey Jamie,' said Seb. 'Want a lift?'
'Hey Seb,' Jamie responded without missing a beat. 'Drop dead.'"- Just one of the many lines that make me love Jamie.
"'No,' Nick said, his voice harsh. 'Because I'd let them hurt me.'"- Oh dear God, the boy is just so tortured!
"'...I love you, Mae. Your hair is the color of flamingos! And I love Nick as well.' He gazed soulfully in Nick's direction. 'Sometimes when you are not being psychotic, you are quite funny. And you!' He regarded Seb for a long moment. 'No, I still don't like you,' he decided."- Jamie, once again.

Synopsis:
Nick and his brother, Alan, have spent their lives on the run from magic. Their father was murdered, and their mother was driven mad by magicians and the demons who give them power. The magician's are hunting for the charm that keeps the brothers' mother alive, and they want it badly enough to kill again. Danger draws even closer when a brother and sister (Jamie & Mae) come to the Ryves for help. The boy wears a demon's mark, the sign of death that almost nothing can erase. The only way to get it off is killing a magician, the very ones they've been hiding from for so long.

In the next installment , Jamie is being persuaded to join the most powerful magician's circle around. Mae finds herself at the Ryves's door once again, trying to save her brother, but the brothers have their own problems to face. Nick's secret is out and every magician in England wants him dead. Mae learns that she'll have to make her own plan to save them all, while trying to balance her feelings for both brothers. She's also going to find out that the price she must pay is more than she ever imagined.

Sarah Rees Brennan weaves a world of fiery fantasy in The Demon's Lexicon series. I honestly had no interest whatsoever in this series. It didn't sound like something I wanted to read, and so I didn't. Big, BIG mistake people! This series is made of so much win it cannot be measured.

First off, I love the characters in these books. They have believable reactions to whatever is thrown at them, and besides that they're hilarious. I have this habit of stuffing books full of tiny pieces of paper, holding the pages that I like a line or two from. Both of these have a marker in almost every other page. The relationships between everyone (especially Jamie and Nick, their relationship is just so confusing)* are very unique and I like that a lot. They all have different reactions to different people, which is the most relevant in the case of Nick and Alan. The bond between the brothers is remarkable and showcases the differences in each of them and also adds to the 'love triangle'.** The only thing that I didn't really dig was the development of Black Arthur's character. Throughout the book he's described as being this head magician/BAMF that no one can touch...and that's about it. No real details come with him. Then, when we're actually 'introduced' to him, he fell flat. Everyone else was so thought out and unique, so overall it wasn't a big disappointment.

The interesting thing about the plot of TDL's series is that it's actually pretty simple***, with only two real major twists. The first twist drives the second book and just adds fuel to the tension fire as far as character interaction is concerned. The character's are so well developed that they carry the plot and give it depth. They make the journey interesting and the darker events lighter. If it weren't for the dialogue, the book would feel too heavy. There's a perfect balance of light and dark, comedy and drama. Now the end of the second book left me hanging and needing, not wanting, the third novel. Trust me, it's intense.

Overall, this series is a whirlwind of amazing people and a bit of magic. I would highly recommend to any paranormal/fantasy/romance/any-book-at-all-fans. It has the twists and turns to keep you interested, the romance that makes you want to pull your hair out, and some fantastic writing to boot. Two thumbs way up.**** Happy reading!



*I'm totally shipping them. If anyone knows of any Jamie/Nick fan fiction feel free to pass that information along.
**It's a line, then it's a triangle, then it's a square, then it's a triangle, then it's a line. The chick needs to make up her mind, and by chick I mean Mae.
***In terms of being able to follow and predict what will happen. This is paranormal YA, it's never just simple.
****If anyone knows what movie I'm attempting to quote you get five extra entries in my contest because you are made of awesome.

"The City is at War"-Cobra Starship,