Next to be reviewed:

Slice of Cherry by Dia Reeves

Synopsis:

Kit and Fancy Cordelle are sisters of the best kind: best friends, best confidantes, and best accomplices. The daughters of the infamous Bonesaw Killer, Kit and Fancy are used to feeling like outsiders, and that’s just the way they like it. But in Portero, where the weird and wild run rampant, the Cordelle sisters are hardly the oddest or most dangerous creatures around.
It’s no surprise when Kit and Fancy start to give in to their deepest desire—the desire to kill. What starts as a fascination with slicing open and stitching up quickly spirals into a gratifying murder spree. Of course, the sisters aren’t killing just anyone, only the people who truly deserve it. But the girls have learned from the mistakes of their father, and know that a shred of evidence could get them caught. So when Fancy stumbles upon a mysterious and invisible doorway to another world, she opens a door to endless possibilities….

Favorite Line(s):
"You're like rottweilers - they protect you from burglars, but nothing protects you from them."

"But what if the monsters come?"
"Fancy." Kit looked away from the drama to stare at her sister, surprised. "We are the monsters." 

"Real monsters eat you from the inside out."

Slice of Cherry is one of those books that makes the night seem alive with darkness and danger...
Everything about this book drew me in. The cover and title caught my attention from the way-down-low bottom bookshelf and the synopsis had me handing over my $16.99 before I even finished reading. A tale of two psychotic daughters of a convicted serial killer? Yes, please.

Fancy and Kit Cordelle seem like normal-albeit emotionally scarred-teenage girls. Most would expect them to learn from their father's mistakes and lead full lives full of very normal, legal activities. Except they both feel the same rush their dad did when their knives hit flesh. What starts out as a hostage situation turns into a full-blown supernatural massacre carried out by the Bonesaw Killer's daughters. Through the blood and gore, we see the too girls grow, mature, and find out who they want to be. Reeves' work is genius and throughout the story she seamlessly weaves subplots and history and fun little tidbits into the main story. She gives all characters focus even if their only appearance is a single scene and truly knows how to tell a great, high intensity thriller.

This book actually scared me a bit by how used to the gore and murder I became as the story progressed. I learned to accept Kit and Fancy* for who they were-even if they do like slitting people's throats a little too much-and care for them in a way that made their actions seem, in some way, less heinous. This coming of age story with a twist was not at all what I expected and exceeded my expectations greatly. The theme of monsters and what makes something or  someone a monster really got to me. Are supernatural creatures monsters? Are people like Hitler, Mussolini, and Yeltsin** the monsters? Or is there a monster inside us all waiting for an opportunity to be unleashed?

Recommended for:
Anyone who can handle a good, scary YA novel!

My rating:
4 stars!


I've missed you all dearly! Finals are next week which means soon I will have the long summer days to blog away once more. Huzzah! How is everyone? Anything exciting occur while I've been on hiatus? Fought any dragons? Kissed any frogs? Let me know! And as always have a wonderful week!
But seriously, I've missed your blogs so much. :')






*Fancy pissed me off almost through the entirety of Slice. So mostly I'm talking about Kit. :)
**I hate Boris Yeltsin with every fiber of my being. I'm sorry if this offends, but god he's a prick.







Photobucket