Next to be reviewed:

The Iron Fey Series (Books 1 & 2) by Julie Kagawa


Summary:   >The Iron King:
Meghan has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined. Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
   >The Iron Daughter:
I don't want to post the semi-spoilery summary since some may not have read the first book yet.

♥ Favorite Line(s):
"Me? Die? Didn't they tell you, princess? I'm Robin Goodfellow."-Puck; TIK

"TRULY, YOU ARE A VISION."-Ironhorse; TID {Oh my, I was crying I was laughing so hard picturing Ironhorse saying this.}

"I was minding my own business long before you and the princess started humping like rabbits."-Grimalkin; TID

"I took a deep breath, forcing back the tears, willing them to freeze inside me, to freeze everything inside me. Emotions, tears, memories, anything that made me weak. Because if I was going to play in the Unseelie Court, I had to be made of ice. No, not ice. Like iron."-Meghan; TID

My thoughts:
This review is so hard for me to write. I usually only write reviews for books I absolutely love or completely hate. Books that really leave me with a strong taste of how I feel about them. The Iron Fey series so far has not done that. I really like the books. I loved some parts. I hated some parts. But overall I only like them so far.

Let's start with the lovely bits:
  • The setting:
    • Kagawa weaves a world that can only be described as spectacular. I loved finding out more about the hidden world of the fey. She left just enough mystery that I continued to stay interested. Beautifully done.
  • Puck:
    • I want to scream from the rooftops how much I adore Puck. He is a sarcastic ginger who's not afraid to piss off people who already want to kill him. I love it. One of the most fun characters to read about. {Although I love Puck dearly, I am Team Ash 100000%. He just...fits with Meghan.}
  • Grimalkin:
    • Is it weird to say I really really really love this cat? Everything he says makes me crack up. I could never quite grasp whose side he was on throughout the first book. Then in The Iron Daughter I finally realized that the only side Grim even acknowledges is his own.
  • The plot:
    • The storyline for this series is so unique. Teenage faeries kicking some iron faery ass in an attempt to save not only the NeverNever, but our world as well? Yes, please. Pair that with a love triangle and a snarky disappearing cat with an agenda an you basically have The Iron Fey series in summary. The seemingly invincible iron faeries were interesting to read about and added a whole new level to the already dangerous faery world. Love triangles are always a plus for me--love triangles = angst, I live for others' angst. Only problem I had with this particular triangle-o-love was the pacing. Meghan and one of her suitors went from "Hey, this is bow. I'm going to kill you with it so hold still." to "Hey, your bed or mine?" in like 3.5 seconds. After that little blip, the romances became much more real and I continue to enjoy their angst. ;)
Non-lovely bits:
  • The pacing:
    • These books are kind of like a VCR...with two settings. Fast Forward and Slow Motion. At times the plot was flying faster than a grandma to the bingo hall. At other times it felt like I was reading 1000 page books rather than the actual 370 respectively. It threw me off and pulled me out of the story a few times.
  • The ending of The Iron Daughter:
    • Anyone who's read it want to talk about it? Email me because I am all kinds of confused. There are question marks flying everywhere.
Overall I really did enjoy the first part of Kagawa's Iron Fey series. The characters pulled me into the story and kept me in the NeverNever even when I wasn't reading the book. The plot was interesting and original and while not totally unpredictable, the twists and turns left me on the edge of my seat. I haven't read many stories about faeries so this was a new thing for me, but I'm happy to say The Iron King and The Iron Daughter are solid reads and I'm very excited to see where the story goes in the next books.



Recommended for:
Fans of {insert plural of series here}.* Anyone who likes world-centric reads and yummy love triangles.


*I am still baffled. Why must you torment me ninja-word?!

P.S. Don't forget to enter my contest HERE to win a July 2011 release and check out this month's poll at the bottom of my blog!

"All Those Pretty Lights"-Andrew Belle,
Photobucket