Next to be reviewed:

Faves of 2011 (so far): {the books}


The ever lovely Nomes over at Inkcrush is hosting a virtual, interactive awards show of sorts for books read in 2011. Any books read in 2011 are fair game and all "winners" are chosen respectively by the blogs participating. I thought it was an awesome idea so I've decided to join in! If you'd like to participate check out the informational post here.

Favorite book read {so far} in 2011:


Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta is by far the best book I've read in 2011. Absolutely captivating in every single way. I ate it up like it was a plate of Nutella covered strawberries. And I really, really like Nutella covered strawberries.

♥  Most powerful book {so far} in 2011:


Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry is schizophrenic. One minute it's a kick ass zombie thriller and the next it's a coming of age story in which everyone is trying to figure out the values of one person's life over another's and at what point a soul is lost or gained and all of these yummy existentialist questions. Devoured it.

The most brilliantly funny {so far} in 2011:


City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare. Because of Jace. And Alec's awkward humor. And Simon. And Magnus. And-there are a lot of funny dudes in the TMI world. This one was very hard because I find everything funny. Like Linger. I was laughing at least once a chapter, because awkward = funny to me and in YA I encounter plenty of awkward.

Best ache-y, heart-breaking, tear-jerker read {so far} in 2011:


Again, Jellicoe Road. I'm a crier and this one left me looking like a botox patient in the rain, face soaked and stuck in a rictus.

Most beautiful story {so far} in 2011:


The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett is one of my favorite stories ever ever ever and I cannot believe I've waited this long to read it. More Middle Grade, but I'm going to blissfully ignore that fact. *whistles*

Fave rainy day comfort read {so far} in 2011:

Please don't make me put the picture again. Surprise, it's Jellicoe Road. That book has rocked my world this year.

Best tense, adrenaline-fueled, unputdownable {so far} in 2011:


Slice of Cherry by Dia Reeves is...creepy. It's fun and Southern and all kinds of awesome...but it's insanely creepy.

The beautiful prose award:


Linger by Maggie Stiefvater. I absolutely adore Maggie's writing style. It's flowy and piercing at the same time and my writerly side is jealous every time I read something of hers.

Most atmospheric and vivid setting:


The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa has absolutely breathtaking descriptions of the NeverNever. I love living in the faery world Kagawa has woven. Slice of Cherry actually may have beaten it, but for the sake of repetition here it is.

I-so-want-to-go-there award:

City of Fallen Angels, again. You all know my complete adoration for Cassandra Clare and both of her series (serae? serieses?), so it should be no surprise that I would love to be taking out bad guys and generally kicking ass with Alec, Clary, Jace, and the whole cast.


Most original and imaginative {so far} of 2011:

Slice of Cherry again. Lord, you all must think I've read a whopping seven books this year. It's just that a few really-super-duper-awesome books I've read fit most of these categories.

Best under-appreciated, hidden gem book {so far} of 2011:


Red Glove by Holly Black is in no way, shape, or form a hidden gem, but it is definitely under-appreciated in my mind. Cassel is one of my absolute favorite protags. everevereverever and very few people seem to recognize the genius of his character.

I-had-no-idea-i-would-love-this-so award:


Break & Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz. Both brilliantly unexpected.


Most haunting story:


Desires of the Dead by Kimberly Derting. I love the Body Finder series and Desires of the Dead left me thoroughly creeped out.

Outside of my comfort zone but oh gosh I love it award:

Again, I try not to pigeon-hole myself into a "genre slump," so I don't really have a true comfort zone. Which means again I have no answer!

Series that I'm loving:

The Mortal Instruments, The Body Finder, The Wolves of Mercy Falls and The Iron Fey.

Most memorable voice award:

Jellicoe Road. I absolutely adored reading in Taylor's voice. One of my favorite contemporary protags.

Completely awesome premise award:


From best-selling, Printz-award winning author Libba Bray, the story of a plane of beauty pageant contestants that crashes on a desert island. Teen beauty queens. A "Lost"-like island. Mysteries and dangers. No access to email. And the spirit of fierce, feral competition that lives underground in girls, a savage brutality that can only be revealed by a journey into the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Oh, the horror, the horror! Only funnier. With evening gowns. And a body count.

Would make the best movie:

Desires of the Dead. I'm picturing it right now. And I'm liking what I see.

Want to re-read already:

Hm, I wonder what--


JELLICOE ROAD.


* * * * * * * * * * *

Well, that took a bit longer than I expected, but I hope you found some enjoyment in my list. I highly recommend each book mentioned! If you're participating please leave a link in the comments and I'll be sure to check your list out.
Happy Friday!

P.S. Don't forget to enter my contest and check out my poll at the bottom of my blog!

"Michael"-Franz Ferdinand,
Photobucket