Next to be reviewed:

Review: Paranormalcy by Kiersten White! + A CONTEST.

Hello my lovelies! I know I haven't been posting as much as I usually do and I have a good reason for this. It's called real life. It's kind of awesome sometimes. Anyway, to make up for it I come bearing a review and a contest!

Overall Rating: 4.6 out of five
Characters: 4.9 out of five
Plot: 4.5 out of five
Cover Art: 4.9 out of five
Originality: 4.3 out of five
Concept: 4.7 out of five

Favorite Line(s):

Everything that comes out of Evie's mouth.

Synopsis:

Sixteen-year-old Evie's job is bagging and tagging paranormals. Possessing the strange ability to see through their glamours, she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency. But when someone--or something--starts taking out the vamps, werewolves, and other odd beasties she's worked hard to help become productive members of society, she's got to figure it out before they all disappear and the world becomes utterly normal. 
Normal is so overrated.

Paranormalcy is one of my favorite debuts of the year...
I honestly don't know how to start this review so I'll just begin with my favorite part: Lend. He makes me want to dance around my house, carrying Paranormalcy of course, whilst singing show tunes.

I'll admit that I almost always like the 'bad boy' more than the good guy when love triangles are involved, mostly because they're usually much more interesting characters. This is most definitely not the case with Paranormalcy. Lend is interesting, more than a bit mysterious, and a genuinely nice person. *gasp* I know, it's unheard of. Lend's fantastic and I adore him.

I also adore Evie. She's such a fun, happy character. Instead of letting everything get her down she mostly maintains a positive attitude and actually works to get things done, as opposed to sitting on her bum moping. One character I despise with an intense passion is Reth. For some reason I imagine him looking a lot like the Shamwow guy:

...I think that alone says enough about my feelings for Reth.

Moving on! The concept of IPCA (the International Paranormal Containment Agency) is original and actually kind of logical. (I mean, if paranormal creatures were real, I'm pretty sure the CIA or some other government group that likes initials would know about and try to contain them. Hence, IPCA would most definitely exist.) It was refreshing to read a novel about paranormal creatures in which they're not ZOMGTHEHOTTESTTHINGSTOGRACETHEEARTH. Even more refreshing to see a protagonist that doesn't let the few hot paranormals mess with her head.


Besides having some awesome characters (Lish is also fantastic), the plot flowed very well and had a nice mix of Evie-teenage-superhero and Evie-sixteen-year-old-girl. The fairies were terrifying and the fairie paths even more so. Imagine being stuck somewhere that doesn't even exist in our world with a creepy, vindictive creature. Yikes! No thank you. While the action was pretty awesome and Evie's reactions were hilarious, the world of Paranormalcy is not one I'd want to spend much time in.


Summing it up:


Loved it. Loved it, loved it, loved it. August 31st people!


Giveaway:


Thanks to a mix-up with mailing, I have one BRAND SPANKIN' NEW, never been read ARC of Paranormalcy to give to one of you fantastic readers. (Thanks to Kim at Harper Teen for allowing me to give it away!)


Since this is my very first ARC giveaway, this is followers only. I'm sorry, but this is a big deal to me! This is also US only. Contest ends one week from today or Friday, August 20th.


Fill out the form below to be entered. Good luck!










"Kiss N' Tell"-Danger Radio,

Photobucket