Next to be reviewed:

Review: An Abundance of Katherines by John Green!

*sighs* I'm in mourning for the summer, as of today. Why, you may ask, am I mourning when the sunshine and popsicles and all that good stuff is just around the corner? Well, I can't get anymore books out from my school library! I, being an unemployed, unlicensed teenager, do not have a car to drive me anywhere to get books, nor the funds to buy any. Because of this, I've been dreading the sad day for the past few weeks, and last Friday it came. So, I'm trying to go through the books I took out slowly (not working) and spend more time catching up on reviews! First up is An Abundance of Katherines by John Green...

Overall Rating: 4.6
Characters: 4.7
Plot: 4.5
Cover Art: 3.9

Favorite Line(s):
"The past, like Lindsey had told him, is a logical story. It's the sense of what happened. But since it is not yet remembered, the future need not make any fugging sense at all." -Colin Singleton having an epiphany. (c:

Synopsis:
When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type happens to be girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. He's also a washed up child prodigy with ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a passion for anagrams, and an overweight, Judge Judy-obsessed best friend. Colin's on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which will predict the future of all relationships, transform him from a fading prodigy into a true genius, and finally win him the girl. Letting expectations go and allowing love in are at the heart of Colin's hilarious quest to find his missing piece and avenge dumpees everywhere.


John Green for President. I honestly don't know how the man does it. He could write a cookbook and I would probably count it as one of my favorite novels. Seriously, he makes it seem too easy. An Abundance of Katherines is one of those books that makes you happy/sad/confused/surprised/basically anything all at the same time, with seemingly no effort. Genius; especially the people Katherines is made of.

The characters are, like in all of his novels, fan-freaking-tastic. I can't even begin to describe how much I love them all. They allow the story to be amazing instead of just 'dude-can't-get-over-girl.' Even TOC, the little jerk, plays a part in the greater scheme of things.* The distinct personalities of everyone** blend together so well. I can go on for days about their awesomeness. As in his other stories, the events of the novel really do depend on the choices of the characters involved which makes the plot incredibly interesting.

I would love to know how John Green comes up with the stuff his plots are formed around. I really would. I cannot even begin to guess how a child prodigy with a name and anagram obsession's journey came to be. While it boggles my mind, I don't care because it works. It works so well. The 'heartbreak recovery road trip'*** is not a completely original idea, but Katherines makes you think it is.

I'm going to stop rambling now, because no matter how much I gush, I will probably end up making you not want to read the book. So, I leave you with one last message. Just read it. Have a John Green marathon, and revel in the awesome.

"Count On Me"-Bruno Mars
Cara
P.S. I have a new commenting system! Huzzah!

*I hate him like the Daleks hate Doctor Who... that's saying something.
**Besides Lindsey, since she's some kind of multiple personality disorder.
***I just made that name up. *bows*