Next to be reviewed:

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


Overall Rating: 4.6
Characters: 4
Plot: 4.2
Cover Art: 3
YA Fiction
Favorite Line:
"District 12: Where you can starve to death in safety."- Katniss Everdeen

Synopsis:


In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

The Hunger Games is an epic journey through discovering that who we think we are isn't always who we're destined to be...
Everyone's been raving about this book, so I finally decided to find out what all this buzz is about. I now know that the buzz is well deserved! I'll admit, when I first started this story Suzanne's writing style put me off a bit. After I got over her unique way of weaving words, I really appreciated how amazing this book really is. The best part of Hunger Games is the way the characters relate to each other and the situations they've been placed in. Katniss's reaction to being sent into the Hunger Games with Peeta is so genuine and raw that you truly feel for her. She's thrown into a setting where she very literally will have to kill someone whom she believes to have saved her life. Most would fall apart under the pressure of having to do this, but Katniss being Katniss just rolls with it and focuses on surviving. I admire her character for being completely self-sufficient. She doesn't need anyone's help and doesn't ask for it. This is why Katniss is so kick ass. She may feel better with someone else around (i.e. Peeta/ Rue/Gale) but she isn't relying heavily on them for any extended period of time. Now I love Peeta and all but I'm getting it out of the way right now.. I'm 100% Team Gale.The whole 'dark and brooding' thing is much more appealing to me than 'sweet baker/painter.' I honestly could rave about this book for hours, but I'd rather stop now than risk having anyone fall asleep at their computers. So basically, The Hunger Games is fantastic and I would recommend it to anyone!