Next to be reviewed:

review: The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson




Summary: Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness. 


Elisa is the chosen one.

But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can’t see how she ever will.

Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.

And he’s not the only one who needs her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people’s savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.

Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.

Most of the chosen do.


♥ Favorite Line(s):
I didn't mark any and there aren't any on Goodreads so I'm kind of SOL with this one. There were a few moments when Elisa pumps herself with a pep talk though and I like me some self-assuring chicks.


My thoughts:
I won't lie, I didn't love it.


Was the writing spectacular? Definitely.


Was the story fresh and original? Hell yes it was.


But was it enjoyable for me? Not really.


I honestly think most readers will adore The Girl of Fire and Thorns, truly just wasn't a book for me. I'd compare it to Graceling. Another same type of feel book which everyone was all "Holy second coming of Christ" over and I found personified "Meh."


The writing was there, so was the plot. But I just didn't believe the story. And not in the "Really? Vampiric flying robot squirrels? I call bologna!" but in the "I think your characters are terrible actors." sort of way. If that makes sense.* I didn't feel connected to the characters or the story and didn't care what happened to any of them. There were plenty of nail bite worthy moments, but when horrible things did actually happen I didn't really care.


The only moment I was truly involved in the story was when my favorite character, and the only one I found noteworthy at all, of course met an ill fate. If I had a flair for the dramatic I would've pulled one of these>



Instead I pouted for the rest of the book and have waited until now to write my review.

Elisa is a whole other bag of worms that I won't dive into too fully but *spoiler when she's taken against her will-I know, it's not like it's her fault, but alas-three separate times it got to be too much. One can only read the disoriented "I've just been kidnapped." scene so many times. end spoilery shtuffs*

Overall, the story is a bit slow, a bit boring at times. The writing truly is a work of art and Carson is one to look out for. The plot is intricate and complex and well thought out. The characters were just not there for me and I felt kind of cheated at the end.




*I'm starting to think, "If that makes sense." is the most commonly used phrase on my blog as of late. Maybe I should just stop trying to help you understand my loopy ramblings and just roll with it. What say you?
    Summing it up:


    Fans of Graceling will completely devour it. The Girl of Fire and Thorns will be released September 20, 2011.



    "Cough Syrup"-Young The Giant,