Next to be reviewed:

review: Fix Me by Rune Michaels!





Summary: 
Orphaned as a child, terrorized by her abusive brother, and haunted by memories, Leia feels exposed, powerless, and vulnerable. When her tormented mind can stand it no longer, she escapes to the zoo, where she finds shelter and seeks refuge. The zoo is a sanctuary: a protective space for families, and a safe place for the traumatized to forget. But can she ever feel safe? Can she ever forget?

Once again, Rune Michaels brings us a harrowing psychological drama that raises questions about the very nature of humanity. This chilling tale will challenge our preconceptions of family, memory, and self, leaving readers wondering, are we the pinnacle of evolution—or are we just animals on display?

♥ Favorite Line(s):

>Words. I need words. Words to run through my brain, words from books, from music, from TV shows; lyrics, paragraphs, dialogue. The words march through my head one by one, fast and loud, blocking out the pictures in my head, the movies running in my brain. I need the words, drumming onward, obscuring the view, keeping me safe on the inside of my head.

>"I am not me," I cry, my teeth clenched, toes of my shoes digging into the grass too, hands clawing, but the earth is fighting back and won't let me in.


My thoughts:
Ahhhhh. Fix Me makes me go like this>





Why? Because it had loads and bunches and oodles of potential. And it never quite got there.


Nothing* frustrates me more than a story with so much potential that never quite delivers.


Fix Me is made of beautiful prose and lovely lovely lovely strings of words. The language is truly beautiful. And yet it didn't help me connect with Leia. Leia, the mysterious orphan we never learn the name of. The one who's head we're inside but never quite get a hold of. It felt to me that as the story went on we lost her a little more.  The other characters are the same way: completely intriguing until they aren't.


The beginning of the book is set up so nicely and then it's just...over. Almost as if there's a chunk missing between the rest of the book and the last ten pages. Everything is tied up so quickly and it definitely left me wanting more out of the characters. I wanted to grab Leia and yell, "This isn't right! NOTHING happened and suddenly you're just functional again?! Que es esto?!" Without really meaning to I let the synopsis and gorgeous cover raise my expectations. Only to be dropped.


 While I found trouble in plot holes, pacing, character development and the general impact of Fix Me, it is truly a well-written novel. Immediately after digesting some of the prose I wanted to write in journals, paint it on walls, yell it from rooftops and cars. I'm very excited to see what Michaels puts out next as I thoroughly expect to enjoy it immensely.




*Okay, maybe like, clubbing baby seals and things of the like. But in bookish terms, nothing is more frustrating.
    Summing it up:


    Almost, but not quite. Fix Me is set for release December 6, 2011.





    Link up: Goodreads//Shelfari//Amazon//Barnes and Noble//Rune's website

    ♥ The flip side:
    Review by ReadingJunky

    Happy Saturday!


    "Girl"-The Beatles,