Next to be reviewed:

Mini Reviews!

I'm always trying to keep up with school and a social life while continuing to keep up this blog-which I'm not doing a very good job of as of late. Because of time not being unlimited, I've decided to try doing the occasional group of mini reviews. Anyone who's followed my blog for a while knows my reviews are uh....long. So, let's see how this goes!


Rot & Ruin by Jonathon Maberry-


Summary:

In the zombie-infested, post-apocalyptic America where Benny Imura lives, every teenager must find a job by the time they turn fifteen or get their rations cut in half. Benny doesn't want to apprentice as a zombie hunter with his boring older brother Tom, but he has no choice. He expects a tedious job whacking zoms for cash, but what he gets is a vocation that will teach him what it means to be human.

My thoughts:

I absolutely adored this book. Shouting from rooftops, dancing the chacha, singing show tunes adoration. The characters are expertly crafted and the plot was paced to perfection. Maberry gives readers a world full of contradictions and looks into the nature of human beings. Rot & Ruin is a story about zombies, yes, but it is full of interesting lines and history and I love it.

I'd recommend it for:

Any reader who can deal with a little bit of gore.

Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John-

Summary:

The Challenge: Piper has one month to get the rock band Dumb a paying gig.

The Deal: If she does it, Piper will become the band's manager and get her share of the profits.

The Catch: How can Piper possibly manage one egomaniacal pretty boy, one talentless piece of eye candy, one crush, one silent rocker, and one angry girl? And how can she do it when she's deaf?
Piper can't hear Dumb's music, but with growing self-confidence, a budding romance, and a new understanding of the decision her family made to buy a cochlear implant for her deaf baby sister, she discovers her own inner rock star and what it truly means to be a flavor of Dumb.

My Thoughts:

I was very excited to start this book after reading the summary. I wasn't disappointed. The characters and plot come together to create a coming of age story that blends a love of music with the inability to hear it. It's unique and I truly loved stepping into Piper's world!

I'd recommend it for:

Anyone who enjoys YA.

That's all I've got for now, but within the next week or so I'll be posting a full review of the first two Zan-Gah books, so look out for that. :)


Have a great weekend!






Photobucket